Resolutions - Thursday Thirteen

N
ew Year's Resolutions should be a 4 letter word! Kristin shared this quote as part of Monday Musings this week and I think it is just perfect!

"I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second." ~Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones' Diary

So this year I'm starting my resolutions on January 2nd and encourage you all to join me. I've always been terrible about making my resolutions... exercise more, lose weight, learn Icelandic, etc. with no specific method defined to get there. I'm hoping with the resolutions I've come up with this year, my previous resolutions will be the result. So here are my resolutions as a plan of action.

Resolutions

Go to bed by 9:30pm
Wake up at 6am

Eat completely vegetarian at least 3 days a week
Eat fish at least 3 times a week
Have no more than 2 treats a week
Eat more high fiber foods

Always park as far away from the door as reasonably possible
Spend at least 30 minutes 3 times a week on aerobic exercise
Spend at least 15 minutes a day on stretching and strength training

Don't overcommit myself (Yes, it's general, but it needs to be my mantra!)
Spend at least an hour a week having fun with a girlfriend
Learn at least 5 new words in Icelandic a week (at least 1 each: verb, noun, adjective, adverb)
Write down 1 thing I am grateful for each day

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, those are all commendable resolutions but I find for myself that it works better if I just don't make resolutions. My TT comments at http://www.pbdiva.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great resolutions! I too need to be more healthy in my diet, and more importantly my sleeping habits. The problem with Malaysian lifestyle is that most people come out late at night, and if you don't, it's hard to socialize at all. Happy New Year and Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Those are some serious resolutions! I think I will step back from the computer, in case it's catchy!

    Seriously though, wow. I am impressed. I don't think my list is going to be anything like that. Something along the lines of get healthy.

    Cheers, Kiy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not one to make resolutions, I just never stuck to them and after a few years gave up LOL

    Great list though, you're making me want to take another try and make some resolutions for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually do 5 resolutions and they are really general, but I never stick to them. I figure maybe if I tried picking 2-3 goals, and then make resolutions which will result in those goals, maybe it would work better. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do resolutions, however found I didn't follow through. Instead, husband and I just keep a running goal list(with anticipated completion dates for any within 2 years). We do better with a continued throughout the year goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year friend....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a reasonable list. A few of them tie together which might make them easier to accomplish. Like not over committing and going to bed by 9:30 LOL I love KIY's reaction! Have a super New Year. I look forward to chatting soon. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!