Do You Love Blue Ceilings Too?

Having lived all over the country, the world even, you'd think my style would be a little more eclectic than it is. Perhaps it is a bit. While lots of bloggers seem focused on mid-century modern, my style is far more traditional, with a little Swedish country/Gustavian thrown in to the informal areas of my home. Of all the areas I've lived in, the one that has most influenced my style would be the South; Charleston, SC to be even more precise. The charming relaxed elegance of historic southern homes, with their wraparound porches and approachable friendly dining areas. Homes that made you feel like you were welcome to come and sit a spell, whether at a formal dinner or a casual Tuesday evening on the porch with a glass of sweet tea. Something about the wrap around porches in the south and the heady smell of magnolias has me lost in ideas of gentility and grace.

One thing prevalent in the south is a lovely blue ceiling on the porches, alas I have no porch to paint the ceiling a lovely shade of "haint blue". Haints are the restless spirits of those who have passed, but not moved on. It is said that the spirits can't cross water, so painting the ceiling of your porch blue was said to prevent haints from crossing your porch to come in your door. I generally paint ceilings in my house "Polar White" by Valspar, it's a lovely creamy white. However, I am going to paint my master bedroom ceiling blue, I'm leaning towards a softer blue with a hint of grey ("Grey Mist" by Valspar, might cut it about 50-75%). My hubby thinks I'm crazy, but I think he'll love it when it's done. I hope anyway.

via

via

via

via

via

via

via

via

via
This master bedroom feels absolutely serene, I would love falling asleep in it every night. I'd like a wraparound porch and this master bedroom please.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!