Chili With A Little Sass - Recipe

As temperatures starting dropping, I can't help but crave some chili and cornbread. Well, the air is cooler and I haven't made chili yet this autumn. Time to rectify that! It goes amazing with my Buttermilk Skillet Cornbread. I love mixing dark and light kidney beans. I like the heartiness of the dark kidney beans, but the light ones seem to have a softer bite to them, which I prefer. I also make chili in bulk. Why? Because the flavor only gets better with time, so each bowl is better than the last.

Chili

This isn't quite Chili with a Kick, not too spicy... More like Chili with a Little Sass, just enough attitude without being too spicy.

Chili with a Little Sass

INGREDIENTS
3 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, diced
32 oz can of tomato sauce
32 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of light red kidney beans
2 15 oz cans of dark red kidney beans
2 4 oz cans of diced green chilis

SEASONING
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

-OR-

2 packets of your favorite chili seasoning

TOPPINGS (all optional)
sour cream
shredded cheddar
tortilla chips
diced jalapenos

DIRECTIONS
Brown the ground beef, strain the drippings
Keep the ground beef in the strainer while you saute the diced onion
Once golden brown and slightly translucent, add ground beef back and rewarm
Mix together the seasoning (or use the packets)
Rinse the beans in the strainer
Add beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and seasonings to the ground beef mixture
Mix thoroughly, and simmer over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes
Serve with toppings


4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. It's going on next week's menu plan for sure!

    Cheers, Kiy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious... and easy! Have to make more soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I just love chili.....and now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili and Cornbread just screams fall to me. I shouldn't have taken so long to make it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!