What is homemaking?

Homemaking by definition:

homemaking (ˈhōm-ˌmā-kiŋ)
n. The management of a household

I feel there is a lot more to homemaking than just the management of your household. If the house is neat, clean and perfectly organized, does that make a home? mowed lawn? place to sit? bed with clean sheets to sleep on? clean towels? All of these are nice, but I can also get them at my local Holiday Inn and that isn't home to me.

How about other aspects of home management? If you have a budget and stick to it, does that make a home? If there is healthy food in the pantry? working lightbulbs in every socket? a childproofed room? Still not quite there are we?

How about table set for dinner? Isn't that lovely, to come home to a set table? What if it's set with paper plates, paper cups and plastic utensils? Is that just as lovely as the first thought?

Oh, and food on the table? yes, food on the table is homey... but what if it's the exact same thing at every meal? or flowers in a vase? that's nice... but what if they are dandelions? Do you see where I'm going?

Homemaking isn't simply the act of putting food on the table and flowers in a vase. It's putting healthy foods that your family likes, and picking nice smelling pretty flowers that you love. It's taking the time to personalize your efforts, so that you and the family you love feel at home.

7 comments:

  1. Love this post, Barbara! Makes me want to go and pick some zinnias and set out some china! You're an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head! Personalization is the key. Does YOUR family feel good about it. It doesn't matter what ANYONE else thinks. LOL BTW I have a mason jar of silk dandelions in Am's room that she loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Now I should go see if I have some flowers left in my yard to enjoy before the cold gets them all!

    Tamy: Oh how I laughed at that one!!! The point is that she loves them though! Amber would see the beauty in a weed everyone else is desperate to get out of their yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a nice article. I like it very much.
    -------------

    marry

    ahinfosource

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Marry, I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am is like that - her sight for beauty in the mundane always astounds me and reminds me that it's the simple little everyday things that truly make us happy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!