My Kitchen

Kitchen Overview:


Skip all the details and jump to the pics

Yesterday on my menu plan, Blaze Danielle asked me how my kitchen was decorated and what color it is, since I love to cook so much. So, I thought I'd share a bit about my kitchen. I do have a kitchen post on Kitchen Comforts as well. However, I don't dwell on the decorating aspect of it there.

We bought this house even though there are a lot of things that we want to change. Our thought was that the house would work well until we got around to the remodeling. There is a LOT of blue in this house, I'm slowly replacing the blue floral wallpapers with paint. The last thing we'll do is replace the blue carpeting throughout the main level with wide plank hardwood flooring. The blue carpet and countertop were both there when I moved in and will be replaced eventually. In the meantime, I've accessorized in the dinette to coordinate.

I love the light cream paint on the walls, it warms it up a touch while keeping it light and airy in the main living area. I have scandinavian lace curtains hanging above the window in the kitchen and dinette to let as much light in as possible. There are blinds, but they are always up. The kitchen itself is blue and cream, so I chose red as my accent color.

I use 3 crocks in the kitchen, two to hold my utensils and I have 1 as a cookie crock. I painted the wood lid on the cookie crock red to match the rest of the kitchen accessories. I have a tine to corral things like vitamins and medications, and I keep the phone, phone book, pad of paper and pen on a tray so when cleaning I can quickly move it out of the way and put it back.

My KitchenAid mixer is a workhorse in my kitchen so I leave it out all the time. Many decluttering sites tell you to put appliances away and pull them out only when used. This makes sense if you a) have a lot of extra storage and b) use these appliances infrequently. I leave my mixer and bread machine out, they get used often. I do have a food processor, but I use a mandoline for most meals for just hubby and I, so that is stowed. Do what works for you!

One thing that I do leave out that is used very infrequently is my coffee maker. It's too tall to stash anywhere, but it will be finding a home in the closet off of the kitchen when we convert half of it into a pantry.


 I took the photos below Monday night, you can click on any of them to be taken to my photo album on Flickr for bigger photos and notes.

Counter closest to dinette:
Kitchen

Window above my sink, scandinavian lace curtains and a Swedish paper cut design (intended for Christmas, but I love it and leave it up year round):
Kitchen

The counter between the stove and sink: Utensil crocks, knife block, spoon rest and cookbook holder. Oh and you can see a bit of my gloves, which I think are just adorable:
Kitchen

The counter between the stove and the pantry:
Kitchen

Fridge corner, not visible in older pics:
Kitchen

My everyday dishes are in this cabinet across from the dinette table:
Kitchen

15 comments:

  1. You have a very lovely kitchen. I love how you write too. It really brings the photos alive. I would never have guessed there was blue carpet in your kitchen and I was thinking the countertops were dark grey or black...very modern. My mother n law had blue countertops in her last kitchen remodel just a short while back. You've done a great job of decorating. Want to do mine? :) We too want to replace our current floor with real wood planks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Woman: Thanks! :)

    Kim: Thank you for the compliment, I was trying not to ramble too much. I could talk for an hour about the decorating process and how I got to here from the french country style I had in the last house. Our blue countertops are pretty scratched up and need to be replaced, and so is the sink, it's a cream enamel or porcelain. But I can live with it until we're ready. The carpet is the thing that really bothers me though. I'm a messy cook ;) I'd love to see pics of your kitchen, you should post some on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word I absolutely LOVE your kitchen, no wonder you like spending so much time in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandra. I do love it. The kitchen, dinette, family room area is why I wanted the house when we were looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra beat me to it. I was about to say exactly that... So, ditto =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your kitchen! Well, maybe not the blue carpet, but I can totally look past that :) Everything else is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim: I have a hard time looking past it... I know it's temporary, so I try not to let it bug me.

    Monique: Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post!! :) Thanks for sharing with us! I feel as if I just came from visiting you! :) Perhaps we had some tea and crumpets??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your kitchen. Someday, we will have a house with a pretty kitchen like that too. I miss a big happy kitchen but as you said, you have to look past some things sometimes. I settled for this kitchen as the rest of the house was so perfect for us (and the back yard is huge!). If we end up staying here, my hope is to completely remodel the kitchen, eating area and formal living room to make it one big room. Hubby's eyes rolled back in his head (probably looking at dollar signs, lol). But I have it all sketched out.

    Yes, I dream big. Basically, if you are going to dream, why not? :)

    If we ever really do that, I am SO calling on you to help me decorate!

    Cheers, Kiy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blaze: I've never made crumpets, but I'd sure give it a whirl if you were coming for a visit. :) I have the tea covered though!

    Kiy: Thank you so much for the compliment! And seriously, I so agree if you are going to dream, dream big! Dreaming is fun and best of all... it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, we need to get together to cook sometime. As many times as we have gotten together to eat, it would be fun to plan a dinner and go start-to-finish! I must say, your kitchen/dining/family room are so awesome for entertaining. :) Even if everything is soooo blue. :) Which we have discussed!! Later gator!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becca: I'm all for that! It would be a lot of fun. I want to do another murder mystery soonish too... but this time using a different brand where everyone is a suspect and we'll all dress up :) I promise I won't stick Wayne with Leiderhosen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love the lace curtains you have pictured and have been looking for something similar (want them hand-made, about that same length, w/the loops so that no hardware needed to put onto rods...please share with me where you found them. Thanks! Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristi,
    I'm afraid I can't help you too much. These used to hang in my Amma's kitchen in Iceland. No doubt bought there sometime in the 40's-60's or made by a friend or relative of hers. There are no tags on them, so I have no idea, my Amma sews and knits but doesn't tat or crochet to my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!