Mmmmm Soup

I spent this afternoon making 2 soups, similar bases, a few different additions, 2 totally different soups. Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods, it always reminds me of being taken care of, especially when I was sick. Only now I'm the one doing the nurturing, and it's myself I'm nurturing.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Chicken Tortilla Soup

The two big batches of soup will supplement my dinners for the next couple of weeks so I have less cooking to do and can spend more time on the Spring Cleaning. One is a brothy Chicken Tortilla Soup, the other is a creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Both of these soups start with 2 lbs sauteed chicken, 1 cup sauteed onions and celery, and a lot (approx 64 oz) of chicken stock.

To the Chicken Tortilla Soup I add 1 can tomato sauce, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans diced green chiles, 1 can black beans, and a few liberal shakes of a Southwest seasoning blend. Bring to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. I like to top this with tortilla chips, a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

To the Chicken and Wild Rice Soup I add 1 qt half & half, 1 1/2 cup wild rice, 3 cups water, 1/2 cup of flour. Simmer on low for 40 minutes. I like to top this with a little crumbled bacon.

Need I mention, the house smells absolutely yummy right now!!!


2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm, I love soup. I have it almost every day for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make so much soup during the winter it's just a given. So easy to mix and match veggies, broths and meat to try different flavors. We had the Chicken Wild Rice Soup tonight, it just gets better as the flavors meld. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!