Apple Galette

Ever since I saw this Apple Galette at Angry Chicken, I've been wanting to make one. Since I had a TON of apples, well more like 8-9 lbs, I finally threw some spiced apples together for canning and used some of them to make one. This is an easy substitute for an apple pie, when you want a pie without all the hassle of a perfect crust and sealing the top and bottom crusts together. Simple, but just as tasty.

For a Galette Pie Crust, you want enough for about 1 1/2 pie crusts. This is a basic pie crust, yielding a great flaky crust. To make this quick, I use my food processor, however you can use your fingers, two knives, or a pastry blender to cut in the butter.

Apple Galette

Apple Galette
INGREDIENTS

Crust:
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into Tbsp sized pieces
ice cold water

2-3 cups Spiced Apples

DIRECTIONS
Mix together flour, sugar and salt (Pulse twice if using FP)
Add butter, toss in the flour to separate, cut in butter into flours mixture until butter is in pea-sized pieces (Pulse 5-8 times if using FP)
Drizzle in ice cold water 1 Tbsp at a time, until just moistened and sticking together, usually 4-5 Tbsps (Pulse after each Tbsp)
Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap, and pour on dough bits
Form dough into ball in center using the plastic wrap to pull it together.
Pat down to about 1 - 1 1/2" round
Let rest 20 minutes in the refrigerator
Lightly dust surface with flour and roll out dough into circle (adding as little flour as possible, but enough to keep it from sticking)
Transfer dough to circular pizza pan or stoneware circle
Fill center with Spiced Apples about 3/4" thick, leaving about 1 1/2" crust at the outer edge
Fold the outer crust with no filling on it up over the Spiced Apples
Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, until crust is lightly brown.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that looks so good!!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to keep myself from just eating the spiced apples. It's good but very non-fussy for casual meals. I have FINALLY used all the apples I had in the house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love every single one!